Engineering at Protocol Labs is not just about writing world-class code. We create software systems that tackle significant challenges. In re-decentralizing the web, we work on hundreds of open source projects pursuing everything from research to end-user products. Developer Experience at Protocol Labs is focused on growing and nurturing the community around those projects, in order to advance the broader decentralized web movement. Community Engineers at Protocol Labs engage both with the technical pieces that make up our systems, and the communities that make them run.
This role is focused on either the IPFS Project (ipfs.io), a peer-to-peer network for storing and sharing content-addressed data, or the Filecoin Project (filecoin.io), a decentralized network for storage, with built-in economic incentives and cryptographic proofs to ensure data is stored reliably over time. As a Community Engineer, you will be helping new users, developers, and/or miners become oriented, and clearing hurdles for them to adopt decentralized technologies for their systems.
As a Technical Support Engineer (Lotus) at Protocol Labs you will…
- Onboard new contributors, users, miners, and developers to the community
- Foster a friendly and supportive environment on Slack, Matrix, WeChat and other project forums.
- Address both conceptual and technical troubleshooting questions from community members seeking to run IPFS or Filecoin, design applications, integrate into existing services, operate storage or mining nodes, and more.
- Identify hurdles to user onboarding, and collaborate with the project team to discuss and prioritize related improvements.
You don’t need experience in 100% of these responsibilities, and we’d like to hear about your unique perspective on this role. Tell us about what you can bring!
You may be a fit for this role if you have…
- Familiarity with peer-to-peer, decentralized, or blockchain technologies.
- A passion for helping others learn.
- Strong written communication skills in short form, medium form, and long form.
- Experience as a developer or researcher on complex technical topics, or with developer relations or developer support.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
Bonus points if you have…
- Experience speaking at conferences, developer summits, or virtual events.
- Experience working in or managing open source software communities.
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.